Show will go on: Mamma Mia production moved to March
The show will go on as Mamma Mia! is rescheduled to March 2021.
Tamworth Musical Society and Capitol Theatre Tamworth confirmed that the new opening night would be March 5 and the season of 13 performances will run through to March 2020.
Director for the production and manager of Tamworth Regional Council's Entertainment Venues, Peter Ross, said there were several logistical hurdles to get over.
"The set and costumes were being hired in, and we needed to find a time when we could get those again in addition to the cast and theatre being available too," he said.
"The cast of over thirty had been in rehearsals for the last seven weeks but had their final rehearsal last Wednesday.
"The show was looking fantastic, and we were so excited with what we were gearing up to present to the public in May."
There will be no changes to the lead cast, which includes Gabriela McDonald in the role of Donna.
Patron's holding tickets to Mamma Mia! will be emailed or called as soon as possible in regards to this reschedule. Please don't call the box office instead kindly check your inbox regularly.
"We are so looking forward to presenting Mamma Mia in March 2021 at a time when hopefully the world is recovering from the effects of the coronavirus and looking to go back out again and enjoy live entertainment," Mr Ross said.
Mitch Alcorn, President of Tamworth Musical Society, said the postponement of the production extremely saddened them.
"The society has been entertaining Tamworth and region since 1888 and has only been stopped in the past by extreme circumstances such as World War II and the outbreak of Spanish Influenza in 1919," he said.
"We look forward to keeping up the tradition and getting back to the stage as soon as possible."